Saturday, January 21, 2006

Well, we just clicked!

Friend 1 (the too-nice-to-say-anything friend): Uhmmmm.....

Friend 2 (the couldn’t-care-less-about-what-I-say friend): ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND?????

Friend 3 (the I’ll-lie-to-be-nice friend): That’s nice. *I think she needs psychiatric help*

Friend 4 (the I-was-born-with-rose-coloured-glasses friend): That is sooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Friend 5 (the practical friend): You might want to give this a little thought before you jump to any conclusions.

Friend 6 (the lighten-up-an-awkward-situation-by-laughing-out-loud friend): HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You’re funny.

Friend 7 (the bitch-who’s-always-thinking-bad-stuff-about-you friend): *Oh my God. She is SO desperate*

So. I’m thinking that these are some of the few responses I would get if I were to ever tell my friends that I had fallen in love with someone over the Internet. And probably this is how some of you would respond too, if your friend was to tell you that. However, I do not know or understand why.

This is how I see it. You can never really know anybody. You can live with someone for 15 years and still not know him. You can be lied to, sweet-talked to and cheated on, even when you’ve met that somebody in person. So, what’s so different about e-love?

Yes, distance is a major concern. So, if you’re a 25 year old guy in Moscow, Russia who has a low paying job that cannot even afford you a ticket to Stalingrad, Russia, then you might want to rethink falling in love with that girl in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Though if you’re the optimistic kind, don’t let a mere couple of thousand dollars and a possible language conflict stop you!!! But what I’m trying to say is, if there is a possibility for the two people involved to meet sometime, then why not?

I think the Internet is a great way to meet people, especially a potential love interest. It’s so much easier to talk to someone online. You don’t feel shy. Nor do you feel “rejected” if someone doesn’t talk to you. You get an opportunity to think before you type, and hence avoid saying something stupid (though this doesn’t work all the time.) And if you think things aren’t going as planned, then a simple click on the ‘block’ button works wonders.

Personally, I’m absolutely open to the idea of possibly finding my mate online. What are the odds that I’m going to find my Mr. Right in my physical environment? So far, he hasn’t been in the cities I’ve lived in – either in Oman, Canada or India. Not that I’ve been looking all this while. (Okay, maybe I have.) But why should I limit my possibilities, when the possibilities are endless? I’m not saying that I'm going to go on a quest to find my perfect man online. But if it so happens that I do find him in cyberspace, then I’m not going to stop myself from pursuing it. I don’t see why I should.

In fact, I think relationships made online can sometimes be more real. If I like someone online, it must mean that I like him for who he is, at least to some extent. Maybe I’ve seen a picture or two, and I think he’s terribly cute. But how long am I going to just keep talking to a cute person if he has no personality AND I’m not getting any??? Jokes apart, I think it’s a great way to really get to know somebody without letting the whole “physical” aspect getting in the way. Not that getting physical is a bad thing. Oh no, it’s not. But I think couples these days find it easier to jump into bed together than have a decent conversation over a cup of coffee. Yeah, sometimes the smell of coffee distracts me too. But I’m hoping you get my point.

Of course, there are creeps on the Internet. Just as there are creeps in the real world. So, just use your brains. Face it. If you are naïve enough to fall for everything someone says online, then chances are that you will also fall for everything someone says to you in person. Aah. Body language, you say. So, when I meet someone in person, it would probably be easier for me to pick up signs that show he’s lying or he’s creepy. But I know girls who put up with their boyfriends’ swearing and sometimes, even hitting, for months on end; and that’s a hell of a lot of body language happening there!

What I'm trying to say is that there is no valid reason why healthy relationships can’t begin online. And so, I’m keeping my options open. Maybe that’s because I’m so ugly that no one will ever fall for me in person. Or maybe that’s because I’m not going to settle for second best just because ‘the one’ lives in a different time zone. It’s like saying that you’re only going to date men taller than 5 feet 10 inches. And then Tom cruises by. What are you going to do then? (Just for the record, I can’t stand Mr. Cruise, but apparently, he’s a hit with the ladies… oops… girls.)

The only obstacle I see could probably be of cross-continental proportions. But I love to travel. And what better way to do so than to find someone who will most gladly finance it for me?!?

Tin-tin-tin-tin. (In the Britannia biscuits tune - just because I said so.)

Coming up next:

"From e-love to e-lope."
Real stories. Real people. Virtually true.
Don't miss it. Only on VTV.

32 Comments:

At January 21, 2006 10:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

Yay Moi First!! LoL Ms.V whats cookin?Something is fishy. Who's the guy? ;) come on You can tell me. Tell me & I will sponser your air fare to his place. Ok One way Air Fair ;)

{{hugs}}

 
At January 21, 2006 10:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fare even :P:P u & ur Spell test post!!!

:P:P

 
At January 21, 2006 10:35 am, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Its Chandna isn't it?

With all the effort he put into replying to your english test, you can be sure he is....er... committed! :)

And I can vouch for his non-creepiness. sorta.

Lowe,
Moi

 
At January 21, 2006 12:40 pm, Blogger Nath said...

And probably this is how some of you would respond too, if your friend was to tell you that. However, I do not know or understand why.

The same reason I advise people not to buy shoes online.

(Okay, so nobody's ever asked me whether or not they should buy shoes online -- but if they did, I'd advise them not to.)

 
At January 21, 2006 1:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a long, long Blog and I feel bitched to ;P

Hmmm I wouldn't consider e-love knowing I’d have to wait up to and over at least a year. However, I have had my crushes, made friends etc over the net several times over...

…only difference is that I have met up with every single one of those crushes/dates/friends and whatever’s ;)

 
At January 21, 2006 2:41 pm, Blogger M said...

I agree with you. Besides, it's not like real relationships ever last long nowadays. Might as well give the online thing a shot! =P

 
At January 21, 2006 3:47 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Jaguu: I would need only one way air fare ;) Hee hee. So you'll fly me to ANYWHERE???

Vibes: What makes you think it's not you?

Nath: Hehehe. You mean because he/she may not fit right? ;)

Shreerang: Well, hello 5%! (Interestingly, I spent quite some time at your blog yesterday and had you bookmarked to my favourites list. There is no way you could have known that, is there?!?)

Vitamin X: Of course, you have. Aren't you supposed to change your nick? :P

Maggie: Yeah!! That's the spirit! :D

 
At January 21, 2006 5:46 pm, Blogger Random Access said...

Taking off the sugar coatedness of the whole thing, I think u have made some very powerful valid statements there. Having been through the good and bad of online relationships, I think it almost compels a reply from me :P

Real relationships can be as good or as bad as the online ones. However, it can be worse if distance seperates real relationships. You get used to distance in an online one from day one! I do think the more u r apart from the person u love, the more ur passion increases. So, you will not only get an air ticket, but wont stop flyin till u crash into the other one :) However, distance can really play spoil sport if the parties involved do not have the virtue of patience. Warning bells when phrases like "you arent there when I need u the most" become commonplace. If suspicion or disappointments or frustrations or depressions creep in, its harder to resolve.

People judge others through observations, and the initial uncertainty levels in on online relationship can be higher. But that makes u strive harder to understand the other person, which is a good thing :)

And I absolutely loved the tin tin ti tin :D:D:D Been soooo long!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At January 21, 2006 5:49 pm, Blogger Random Access said...

Btw, loved the title :) You are one of the top on my list when it comes to creativity :) e-xcellent!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At January 21, 2006 7:42 pm, Blogger Nikhil said...

(on) 'line maarna' takes a whole new meaning!!!

P.S. thru Sparky's blog.

 
At January 22, 2006 3:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...
meet friend 8! (the i-knew-it-was-vibes friend) :

I knew it was vibes!!! :p


----
anyways.. moving on to friendlier words of advice:

There are four types of common situations people are in:

S1 : dont know, dont want to know.
-This is before you hit puberty. All girls are evil and boys are smelly.

S2: Dont really know, but I SERIOUSLY want to know more!
-This is when you hit puberty. No one has a clue whats happening, but everyone wants to find out. The easy stages of getting together - breaking up.. etc etc.

S3: I know, I'm not sure if I'm happy about it.
-This is probably your current stage. You know there are creeps everywhere. You dont want to go down the whole road again, cause you've been through it ALL through stage2! and are kinda sick of it.

In your case, you discover a road you havent been on yet! The Net!!

I'd say this is the stage where you are most sensible and understand yourself better than ever before(or after)

S4: I know, I'm happy I know.

This is after you meet 'The One'.
That one could be anyone, not necessarily from the net (not necessarily from the real world either)

---

I'd say, give your best shot! and best of luck!

 
At January 22, 2006 5:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a person's speech is not the same as a person's writing...most people are more fluent in one than the other...and that has got to factor into the equation.
aa

 
At January 22, 2006 5:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS: I think u cud send this into shaadi.com and they d give u a free lifetime premium membership.
aa
PPS: Didnt mean 'lifetime' in the cruel sense...

 
At January 22, 2006 10:45 am, Blogger Vikas said...

VTV?? I want in!!!!

 
At January 22, 2006 10:49 am, Blogger Yohan said...

It's Vaibhav right? I recall when all this started...all those months ago. Who knew it would culminate in this?

 
At January 22, 2006 11:21 am, Blogger Jackal said...

u are absolutely rt.....the net at least gives u a chance to meet ppl...and talk with out ny inhibitions.........a realtionship thur this is much better...than having to meet some guy ur parents think is fit for u n get to talk to him for like 10 mins n he ends up ur partner for life....here u can spend end less hrs explore n find out n if he/she seems to be al rt u take the next step tht's to meet him.......so i dont seen nything wrong..........tcc byee

 
At January 22, 2006 11:22 am, Blogger Jackal said...

yeah last yr a guy frm pakistan married a gal frm Poona..they had met n a chat room.......so there u go....

 
At January 22, 2006 12:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well some people think of e-love as a taboo... but with todays technological advances you can see a person live on cam, hear his voice, read his blog, read his brother/sis/friends blogs, google his name on the net... well you get the idea. Then when you meet... your not really meeting a stranger... I still think long distance suxs for the reason of: "what the hell are you supposed to do when the person is far away and your horny!!!"

ps Vid's my nick lives on!!!!!!!!!

 
At January 23, 2006 1:58 am, Blogger Vaibhav said...

blush Why Ms. V!

I figured from way you don't look into my eyes when we chat that we had moved into the "good friends" zone!

 
At January 23, 2006 2:14 am, Blogger TheSpark said...

"Interestingly, I spent quite some time at your blog yesterday and had you bookmarked to my favourites list. There is no way you could have known that, is there?!?"
welcome to statcounter. (i thought all counters had this thing??).

 
At January 23, 2006 3:27 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

RA: My favourite fan :D When was the last time you said something negative about me? And just for you, here's one more - tin tin tin tin!!!

Nikhil: Haha. Welcome... to you and your sense of humour!

GC: Thanks for the vote of encouragement :D

aa: You're absolutely right about the difference between writing and speaking English. However, whether a person says "They does" or a person writes "You're name", it has the same effect of "EEEEEEEKS" on me. As for the shaadi.com idea, thanks but no thanks :P We've both seen what the profiles up there look like :O

Vikas: Sure! From henceforth, you shall be known as V-Kas. Cool, eh???

Yoyo: Writer, artist, psychic? Just what are you not?

Jackal: Ooh la la. Paki guys are just SO HOT. *drool* I'd love to find myself one too ;)

Vit X: You are way more horny than the average person :P So, I can see how this could be a major problem for you ;)

Vibes: It's called "sharmaana", dearie.

Sparky: Well, I'm quite the duffer when it comes to tech stuff. But I thought the counters only show you the country or maybe IP address of the visitor. Can you actually track down if that person has a blog or not?

 
At January 23, 2006 4:27 am, Blogger Ravi Handa said...

well... do think bout wht u gonna do when the shit hits the fan.

 
At January 23, 2006 9:39 am, Blogger Yohan said...

Best to keep the shit far away from the fan then. In fact, shit doesn't even belong in a room with a fan.

Unless it's an exhaust fan. Er.

 
At January 23, 2006 5:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! @ yohan's shit-hit-fan analysis!!
aa

 
At January 23, 2006 11:11 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

He's speaking after 3 disturbing years of living in Muk West.

I agree, keep the shit down and the fans high...

 
At January 23, 2006 11:13 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Ms. V! "sharmaana" has always been lost on me!

 
At January 25, 2006 9:21 am, Blogger Priya said...

girl.. wat can i say?? are u reading my thoughts or sumthing??hand me over tht contraption tht reads my mind!!

..p..

 
At January 25, 2006 9:33 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Handa: Well, I'll be away from it. So that's a good thing!

Yoyo: Hee hee.

aa: I think you'd get along with Yoyo great :p

Vibes: Ohh. *blush*

Priya: Woman, it just keeps getting weirder, doesn't it??? But well, we both rock ;) Great minds think alike!

 
At January 27, 2006 8:10 am, Blogger Harish Suryanarayana said...

Keeping options open is the right thing to do . Love is such a strange _________ ( i do not know what to call it , 'thing' would make it sound mundane) . Way to go .... great post .

 
At January 29, 2006 12:02 am, Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

Hmmmm, interesting. You do have a valid point there (even though I am against the whole online dating thing :-P)
I know some people who have met online and have had healthy relationships and then I know people who haven't. So its just like normal dating- you may or you may not

 
At February 01, 2006 12:14 pm, Blogger Neel Arurkar said...

I tell you that most people(read females) I have met in the last year are because of my blog :-)

 
At February 21, 2007 5:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home