Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Don't make me loose my tamper!

For the shrewd (or in other words, those good at English), you would have noticed that the title contains 2 mistakes - the very very common "write-it as it sounds" mistake, and a malapropism. The first mistake is with the word 'loose' which should have been 'lose', just like how since time immemorial, people have been writing 'their' as 'there' or 'you're' as 'your'. The second error is with the word 'tamper' which should have been 'temper'. This is a case of classic malapropism where two words sound quite alike and are hence mistaken to be the other. In fact, 'loose' and 'lose' could be malapropisms too though hopefully people know the meanings to both words. Anyway, all this grammar talk is because I've always been fascinated with the English language. Anyone who has a good command over the language impresses me to no end. Forget French or Spanish or Latin. Speak to me in proper English, and I'll be bowled over! Well, I've got an interesting quiz and I want to see how many of my readers can bowl me over. No cheating please (by which I essentially mean 'No Googling'!) Answers will be put up later with due credit to the creator of the quiz. So go on. Impress me!

1. Which sentence is correct?
a) I like all vegetables accept peas.
b) I accept all vegetables, except peas.
c) I except all vegetables, accept peas.

2. Which word means "to guarantee"?
a) Insure
b) Ensure
c) Assure

3. Which word means "great size"?
a) Enormity
b) Enormousness
c) Both

4. Which sentence is not correct?
a) I could of eaten a whole pizza.
b) I could've eaten a whole pizza.
c) I could have eaten a whole pizza.

5. What's the difference between every day and everyday?
a) Nothing (except an extra tap on the space bar)
b) One is a noun and one is an adjective
c) One is American English and one is British English

6. Which kind of breath is worse?
a) Bated
b) Baited

7. Which is correct?
a) It's easy to write on stationary that's stationary.
b) It's easy to write on stationery that's stationary.
c) It's easy to write on stationary that's stationery.

8. Which is right?
a) Petal to the mettle
b) Peddle to the metal
c) Peddle to the medal
d) Pedal to the metal

9. Which one means "to study"?
a) Poor
b) Pour
c) Pore

10. Is the end imminent or eminent?
a) Imminent
b) Eminent

18 Comments:

At January 17, 2006 2:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accept all vegetables, except peas. I assure you I do! The enormousness of my liking cant be comprehended! I could of eaten a whole pizza, but only if it were vegetarian. If I go to America, I would eat them every day. Of course, that doesnt mean I wouldnt eat them everyday in Britain!
Since I have been travelling a lot, I had to speak with bated breath (which mind you doesnt necessarily mean bad, just restrained.) I once decided to write a letter to my friend; When I noticed that its easier to write on stationery thats stationary. The driver was in a hurry and had pressed the pedal to the metal. It was just too shaky to write, so instead I just pored through some other things. Since my life seemed to be in imminent danger, I asked the driver to stop and let me off at the earliest.


:-)

 
At January 17, 2006 2:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. typos typos.. !

letter to my friend; Thats when I noticed that its easier

[the pizza sentence is incorrect on purpose since you asked to pick the wrong answer]

:-)

 
At January 18, 2006 12:18 am, Blogger Nath said...

1b, 2b, 3a, 4a, 5b, 6a, 7b, 8d, 9c, 10a.

(Waits with bated breath)

 
At January 18, 2006 2:37 am, Blogger Abhi said...

1-b
2-b
3-a
4-c
5-b
6-b
7-c
8-b
9-c
10-a

If that doesn't impress you , I drive a red sports car , have 32 inch biceps , made it to the penultimate round of Mr.India and am single :p

 
At January 18, 2006 2:43 am, Blogger alok said...

brain screwing questions huh.. y do u wanna make life so hard :)....
i would love to try these question.. but scared i mite screw up... so i will mail u the answers ;)... take careeeee

 
At January 18, 2006 3:36 am, Blogger Sahil said...

I'm not going to bother taking ur quiz, becoz, well, just because. But here's something that always confuses me:

Let's take this ________ and see where it goes?

A. Farther
B. Further

 
At January 18, 2006 8:53 pm, Blogger Sayesha said...

1. b
2. c
3. a
4. a
5. 6
6. b
7. b
8. Dunno! :O
9. c
10. a

#Sahil,
I'd say farther is used for physical distances, and further means to a greater degree or extent.

Example:

"We are farther away from each other than before. Do you really wanna take this further?"

#Ms. V,

Since you mentioned typos and other errors, I can't help but mention a few I've noticed:

Wrong: Hillarious
Right: Hilarious

Wrong: Off course
Right: Of course

Wrong: Independant
Right: Independent

Wrong: Wierd
Right: Weird

Wrong: Your cute.
Right: You're cute.

Wrong: You're friend..
Right: Your friend...

 
At January 18, 2006 10:05 pm, Blogger Sahil said...

Oh, so

"We shouldn't take this farther" is wrong

and

"We should take this further" is right? Got it. Cheers.

....and it's Pedal to the metal.

 
At January 18, 2006 11:18 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Wow...
Women have laid down before me before... that is that i am to be meaning terms and conditions..

but this one is to be taking the cakes...

Eggjactly.

 
At January 18, 2006 11:57 pm, Blogger Yohan said...

I shall not besmirch myself by answering any of these.

Merely know that careful users of the English language use 'enormity' to mean great wickedness or outrageousness.

I can totally relate... I'm a known stickler for proppah grammah.

 
At January 19, 2006 2:34 am, Blogger TheSpark said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At January 19, 2006 2:37 am, Blogger TheSpark said...

lol! wht's the matter? CAT got u? ditto yohan. :)

 
At January 19, 2006 11:39 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

besmirch?!

Merely know that careful users of the English language use 'enormity' to mean great wickedness or outrageousness.

Yes, we know you are to be having good talents for english taaking and righting... by you not to be simply answering Ms. V's multiple chaice questions then??

Answer! Answer!

 
At January 19, 2006 11:42 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

you dog of the lane!

 
At January 19, 2006 11:48 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Your 'enormity' is to be disturbing decent peoples!


sorry, couldn't resist, this whole post is too funny! :)

 
At January 20, 2006 12:59 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

GC: I like the story :p

Nath: Thanks for taking the time. The answers are up :)

Abhi: Shucks. If you'd actually won Mr. India na, then I'd be impressed. Better luck next time?

A.D.: Hee hee. I remember the good old days where I'd correct your mistakes. And you were such a good sport about it too :)

Sahil: Sayesha answered your question perfectly. But yeah, I can see how that can be confusing.

Sayesha: Uhm. For question 5, 6 was not an option :p

Yoyo: I think it goes without saying!!! Have you seen your blog?!?!

Sparky: No CAT got me :p Can't a girl like some good grammar?

Vibes: I'm glad you can amuse yourself at my blog again. It's been a while :p

 
At January 20, 2006 6:31 am, Blogger Sayesha said...

// Uhm. For question 5, 6 was not an option :p

Eeessshhhh! I meant b! Weird error to make considering that 6 and b kinda look alike but are far apart on the keyboard! :O

 
At January 20, 2006 2:18 pm, Blogger Vikas said...

Late as usual(?) but couldn't help notice this..."Speak to me in proper English, and I'll be bowled over!"

I should tell you that there isn't exactly a correlation btw writing good english and speaking fluently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home