Sunday, January 29, 2006

Birthday Bummed

UPDATE:

Alok replies - http://alokdamodarn.blogspot.com/

Preface


“If you’re famous, everything you say becomes a famous quote” – Me

“You know what my New Year’s resolution is? 1024 x 768.” – Shvetank

“You forgot my birthday.” – Alok

Stop. Rewind. Play.

“You forgot my birthday.” - Alok

Stop. Look at calender. 28th January, 2006.

*Huh? It’s just turned 28th. I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN!!!*

Slap myself on the forehead.

“Shit. I’m a fucking idiot.” – Me

Chapter 1

28th January is the birthday of one of my dearest, closest, most valuable friends. And I totally messed up. Of course, I didn’t forget his birthday. That’s impossible. What I forgot was the fucking time difference. Especially since he just moved to Malaysia last week. That’s 14 hours.

I wake on 28th morning and see a message on my cellphone. It reads, “I was waiting for the past 24 hours. You forgot my birthday. But hope you’re okay.” Because it is indeed true that since 7th grade (and that’s how long I’ve known him), I’ve been the first one to wish him on his birthday. At the stroke of midnight (usually), I call him up to wish him. He turned 21 yesterday. And what did I do? I fucking screwed up.

In my defense though, I didn’t have his phone number. He just moved to Malaysia. So I don’t think he has one yet. But I was planning on sending him an e-card, as much as I didn’t want to. I wanted to talk to him. Anyway, before I could even send him a card, or write him an email, I read this message first thing on 28th morning. And I’m upset. Majorly upset. Because I did screw up. And after I read the message, I didn’t feel like sending him that card anymore. I had to do something more to make up. So, I’m doing what I believe I do best when I feel like an idiot. I write.

Chapter 2

Alok was probably my first indication to me that I swing the heterosexual way. Not that I knew any better at that age. But I knew I was smitten. He was the cutest, cuddliest thing I’d ever seen. And if my description of him sounds like I may be talking about a teddy bear, it’s because I am. He’s as adorable as a teddy bear. I spent all of grade 7 being delighted by the fact that I was good friends with the cutest guy ever.

In grade 8, I’d confessed to two of my friends, M and S that I thought Alok was cute. M and S being guys, and stupid, went and told Alok. Then, they came and told me that they told him. I immediately began to cry. “Now Alok’s never going to talk to me”, I think to myself. “He’ll avoid me, and ignore me”. A few minutes later, Alok’s at my desk. I’m horrified now. “Don’t cry. It’s okay. I don’t mind.” That’s what he said, or something to that effect. I was wailing, so I can’t be sure. But I couldn’t have been more relieved. First of all, he was talking to me. And secondly, there is no secondly. Who cares about anything else? He was talking to me! TALKING! Woohoo! And for some weird reason, we became the best of friends since then. I think it was because of the way he came to console me. At that age, boys are at their stupidest, to say the least. Look at what M and S did! But the way Alok knelt down next to me and smiled at me reassuringly, I was really impressed. Of course, I was. It took me about a year to get over the fact that he’d never like me in “that” way. But it was only in the coming years that I would realize what I had gained instead.

Grade 11. We were rudely separated by education. I chose Science and he chose Commerce. What was even ruder though was the way I ignored him. I’d been elected as Head Girl. I had new classmates, a new set of friends. In all the hullabaloo, I completely ignored Alok. In short, I became a bitch. But he didn’t stop caring.

It’s only after we’ve gone our ways after school that I’ve realized how much he truly means to me. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, they say. You bet it does. I miss him to death. He is only guy whom I can walk down the darkest alley with and feel absolutely safe. Because nothing scares him. Or at least, he does a damn good job of pretending nothing does. He’s been through hell in his life. From crazy fathers of crazy girlfriends threatening him to being mugged and beaten up on the streets by crazy street thugs, he’s been through it all. I think he’s seen all objects that can be used as a weapon far more closely than most people our age have. And it’s not that he’s gotten himself into these situations. Somehow, they find him. It’s like he’s always at the wrong place at the wrong time. But he says it’s all made him stronger. He could have just quit when things were going wrong. But he always stuck it out. And I admire him for that.

I’ve always admired him for his guts. I remember back in school, he was always the rebel student. In grade 7, our Science teacher, Mr. Kaul, beat up one of his friends such that his nose started bleeding. Alok walked right out of class with his friend and to the Vice Principal to complain against the teacher. In grade 9, we had this crazy Math teacher, Mr. Joseph, who loved to hit students with a ruler. He broke many a ruler doing that. Once he chose Alok to be his victim. As Mr. Joseph brought the ruler down to hit him, Alok put his hand out and caught hold of the ruler and said, “Don’t you dare. My own dad has never raised his hand on me. I’m not going to let you.” I remember that incident to this day. Because I remember thinking, “Daaaaymn!!! What a guy!” Sigh.

What more can I say? Alok's been a crush, a friend, a bodyguard. But above all, he's been part of the best days of my life. And I couldn't ask for anything more.

Epilogue

Writing this post has flood my head with so many beautiful memories that I think I’m going to cry. Alok, saying that you’ve been a great friend would be a gross understatement. You have always been there for me. Always. I can be sure that I will never find friends like you in my life. And maybe that’s why I’ve stopped looking for new friends. Because with a friend like you, who needs more? You’ve been a true friend in every respect of the word. And I’m sorry. I honestly did not forget your birthday. In fact, when you called me last week, before you left for Malaysia, that’s why I kept on telling you to give me your number. Because I wanted to call you and wish you just like always. It’s bad enough that I couldn’t do that, and I go ahead and mess it up big time. Happy 21st birthday, dear. I wish I were there with you, so we could have fun in “the land of rats”. Eww. I love you and I miss you. And I want you to know that I can never ever forget your birthday. Not in a million years. And I know you believe me when I say that. Anyway, I’m glad I didn’t, because I got to dedicate this post to you and I think it says much more than any e-card in the world would have. I hope that fate is done screwing you over and from now on brings you only happiness and good luck. Because it’s about time you got your share of good fortune. Muah.

P.S. – Give me your number if you’ve got one.
P.P.S. – Call me if you don’t have one.

15 Comments:

At January 29, 2006 5:41 am, Blogger alok said...

first of thanx for all that you have written about me... do you wanna make me cry???????

secondly i had mailed you my number a few days ago.. i think the day i arrived here itself :).. maybe you didnt get the mail or something somehwere went wrong...

well well you forgot my 21st birhtday and no excuse for that (.. heheh guilt tripping)...
atleast you have wished for the past 7 years.. and i have always forgotten your bday.. shit..i rememeber a few years ago i even forgot your b'day completely.
you have always been the first .. even before my parents wish me .. its always been you... so i forgive you this time ;)...
i was a lil worried coz you didnt call and that things werent ok with you .. but now im glad you are perfectly alrite

you are far better friend than i am :)... you know sometimes without your advice i would have been seriously doomed and i dont know how to put in words...i just..think you are a perfect human being..

dont take it this soo hard man :).. nothin much was happening anyway. it was a pretty quiet and chilled b'day. my friends and I went to an arcade and was gaming for almost 3 hours. Came back we were playing video games.. hehe (21 years old, im supposed to be matured but then what the hell im in the gamers paradise hahah).

well i just wanna say how much i miss you and talking to you and i miss your company a lot and i havent found a friend who im soo comfortable with..
i love you soo much (dont forget my birthday again hahaha) .. muahhhhhhhhhhhhh.. take care .. take it easyyyyyyyyy.. PEACE and GOD BLESS

ALok

PS: hope you got my number and i shall trying calling you soon as i figure out how the hell to make international calls ;) coz calling from the mobile is a rip off.

 
At January 29, 2006 5:57 am, Blogger alok said...

i cant care a rat's ass(hahha) coz you have always called me .. evn when i wwas in london and when i was in sri lanka ... and i also remember you calling my house back in oman and my parents always thought that you were crazy to call me at that time. Those are the moments i really cherish.

and hey vidya this post has been the best ever gift.. someone dedicating a whole post for me .. damn its amazing feeling and thank you once again.

 
At January 29, 2006 5:58 pm, Blogger maheshbalaji said...

ithu allavo natpu!

Khallas! ;)

a belated happy b-day Alok!!!
(i know u[jus a bit though].. u dont know me[anyways]!)

 
At January 30, 2006 6:59 am, Blogger Abhi! said...

Well written! I read your blog occasionally but never commented! amazing! and to alok, happy birthday dude! and good luck!

and V, which part of the world are you in?? US??

 
At January 30, 2006 7:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was touching..

Tinku

 
At January 30, 2006 10:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i knew it... the stupid M had to b muks...hehe...
hmmm...S...?
Mr Chosuff- he was more than crazyyy...
A heart warming fuzyy-wuzzy post...alok u r luckyy!

 
At February 01, 2006 5:23 am, Blogger abhibera said...

Oh!!!! Get a life. Marry that guy if you have to.

Whats up? After reading your blog I thought I should write one too. Nah.... you thought I'd actually be inspired by you? ;) Anyways I do like your blog and I happened to get the URL from Orkut.

Actually I saw this blog called Hawa by some Syrian dude. Then I said ok... I too need to write something.

My blog is at: http://abhibera.blogspot.com

Watch out for some action on that one. I'm gonna say some very controversial things.

 
At February 01, 2006 10:46 am, Blogger Dev said...

Hey Vids!...You really have some great memories!!!
I will never forget Aloks daring in class clubbed with mukundhs 'Harkat'...; Now that Muks has said that he was the M... Who was the 'S' ??

 
At February 01, 2006 12:35 pm, Blogger Dev said...

You can visit this new blog site - www.devmin.blogspot.com

 
At February 02, 2006 10:19 pm, Blogger Random Access said...

I dont know who's more lucky.. u or him... I do know u have a great great circle of freinds. ensoy!!!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At February 03, 2006 12:37 pm, Blogger Vikas said...

Hey...its good to know you're still in touch with your school friends...

Unfortunately I'm unable to trace a single one of them! :(

 
At February 04, 2006 12:11 pm, Blogger Sid said...

Hohoho!! quite a few blog advertisements and that too of people I actually know. And happy belated b'day alok. Really nice to see two people caring so much about each other. Hopefully I will get there soon.

 
At February 04, 2006 9:50 pm, Blogger Vish Kaushik said...

Look who finally joined blogger.

 
At April 26, 2007 10:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. »

 
At April 28, 2009 4:01 am, Blogger Goonjan said...

Just stumbled upon ur blog...

One of the most touching piece of writing ever... Thats it!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home