Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The cliché called friend

Everybody is a friend these days. You meet someone on the train and exchange numbers. Friend. You room with someone for one year in college. Friend. You blogroll someone and they blogroll you back. Friend.

Not that I have anything against meeting people in this manner. I’ve met some wonderful people via this very blog, some not-so-wonderful people as college roommates, and pretty-much-nobody-I-remember-anymore on a train.

But what happened to the “friend” that we talk about in our historic quotes like “A friend in need is a friend indeed” or “Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies” or “A friend is one who walks in when others walk out”? Is that “friend” history?

The fact that almost every second person we acquaint ourselves with is called a friend, is what has led to terms such as ‘true friend’, ‘close friend’, ‘special friend’, ‘best friend’, ‘second-best friend’ etc!

Now, I have some friends who think the world about me; they pamper me and treat me like a queen. And when I call them “friends” and call other people “friends” too, I feel like I’m doing them grave injustice. Because these friends will literally give their lives for me, if it ever came to that. Maybe it’s because we met at that innocent age where letting him have the only blue crayon and choosing to colour my own sky green seemed like the biggest sacrifice. But there’s something about those childhood friends who have stuck with you over the years that you can never find in anybody you meet in your older years; the kind of friends you don’t necessarily have to talk to for days, weeks or even months and it makes not an iota of difference to the bond you share.

I have met amazing people throughout my life, be it physically or virtually. Sometimes I feel like I could never meet people nicer than those I’ve already met because I’ve already met the nicest! :) In fact, anybody who puts a smile on my face is someone I will remember for life. And that includes all those of you who’ve never even laid eyes upon me. However, there are those who will kill anybody who dares bring a tear to my eye. And I owe a lot of who I am today to them.

Here’s celebrating 20 years of friendship with Pradeep - who I know since the day I was born and was thus the second significant male, after my dad, in my infant years; 15 years of friendship with Vivek - who doesn’t spare a second to stop pulling my leg but gives me the best hugs in the world that translate into “you’re safe with me”; and 10 years of friendship with Mukundh - who would never dare to rat me out because I know all his dirty secrets as he does mine, Alok - who has made it very clear that he will, and I quote him, “chop the balls off any guy who tries to mess with me”, Bichu – who cracks mean jokes about me all the time but is the one who gets more teary-eyed every time we say goodbye, and Jeevan - who made sure I was laughing every second so that there was never time for me to cry. You guys mean the world to me and no amount of words could do justice to how blessed I feel to have you in my life. I love each one of you as if you were family. You guys are truly friends in every sense of the word.

Honorary mention - Ankit, Sandeep and Jobin. You are right up there too, though I sort of suspect that your friendliness has something to do with the fact that you have a major crush on me! ;) Yes, I love you too! :p

28 Comments:

At July 27, 2005 9:38 pm, Blogger Leon said...

Nine guys and no gals? I'm jealous..
;-)

Just make sure none of those guys end up in Bangalore.. :p

 
At July 27, 2005 9:40 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Hehehehe. As long as you don't "mess with me", there's nothing to worry about! ;)

 
At July 27, 2005 9:43 pm, Blogger Leon said...

Don't worry.. My balls are important to me.. :p

And hey.. you haven't blogrolled me.. Am I your "friend" or what.. ;-)

 
At July 27, 2005 9:47 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

I can only do that if I get a few seconds off from replying to your comments ;)

 
At July 27, 2005 11:05 pm, Blogger vishy said...

huh.. I would be really surprised if u say u dont hav a single gurl friend.. but guess its goin to be diff with 9 really close guys..

or do ya plan a seperate post for the gals..

 
At July 27, 2005 11:12 pm, Blogger vishy said...

btwn .. r u now in India or Dubai.. ur blog shows ur location as India..

 
At July 27, 2005 11:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All guys & no gurls? I think you go very well with lots a boyz!! wanna try me baby .;-)

 
At July 28, 2005 12:24 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Anonymous: Mommy told me don't talk to strangers. So maybe a name would let you join the queue :p

Vishy: Hmmm. Girls and me... for the time being, I'll leave it at "we don't get along very well"! :p

I'm neither in India nor Dubai now. At present, in Canada. I show my location as India because that's the country I like being related to :) No matter where in the world I am, I'm from India.

Btw, the place where I grew up most of my years is Muscat. As for your menial jobs question, Indians do menial jobs in every part of the world. The person who cleans the cafeteria in my university is Indian. In Oman, now you'll even see Omanis work at petrol stations. And come on, so many major positions in big companies have Indians. So I don't agree with your reasoning about the Middle East.

In Dubai, there are more number of Indians than Arabs. I personally have hardly seen any Arabs in Dubai. So you'll feel like you are in India, just a less polluted and a more developed version. That's why I love Dubai. Indians do menial jobs here too, but at the same time they also hold high posts. So it's fair game. It's not the Gulf that's exploiting the Indians. Indians choose to leave India to work in the Gulf!

 
At July 28, 2005 12:30 am, Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

such as ‘true friend’, ‘close friend’
Add to it e-friend...e-pal ;)

Though I'm not in touch with my real life friends in person anymore coz of the work load, we do keep in touch on internet.

Also, have met amazing people online since I got introduced to internet and at times they mean a lot to me too.

So it depends how you define FRIEND as and whether A friend in need is a friend indeed fits true from them too.

 
At July 28, 2005 1:53 am, Blogger Random Access said...

I dont give a damn abt wht u think, u r my friend :)

And yeah, I love ur poetry ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At July 28, 2005 4:30 am, Blogger Kroopa Shah (Kr00pz) said...

"we don't get along very well"!
I think I understand that one!

 
At July 28, 2005 5:25 am, Blogger Priya said...

friends.. wat would we do without em?? some stick to u thru trouble and tragedy and sum cause the trouble and let u face the tragedy :p .. he he
..p..

 
At July 28, 2005 6:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't see me for some time, it's 'cos I'll be away sulking in some corner.

 
At July 28, 2005 8:49 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Arz000n: I don't deny what you say. But just that the word friend is being used very loosely.

RA: :) You're a great guy. Have I ever told you that before? And not just because you like my poetry! ;)

Kroopa: Yes, there are a few of us who are genetically mutated, I think! ;)

Priya: And for some, you would gladly face the tragedy :)

Antrix: !!! Don't you dare be sulking! You and me go a long way back, in a very interesting way too! :D Who else listened to me through my numerous bitch-phases??? Come on, now. Cheer up. A big big big hugsie for you!

 
At July 28, 2005 10:57 am, Blogger Random Access said...

what the #@^$%&$%* ???????

On hindsight, thanks! i really feel honoured, as im neither muslim nor single (well, u can argue on that one), nor a body builder ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At July 28, 2005 12:04 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Didn't you read me mention whom I was most obsessed with? He's far from single! ;)

 
At July 28, 2005 12:13 pm, Blogger Vikas said...

"A friend in need is a friend indeed!"

I always find myself getting my "friends-in-need" ( or is it friend-in-needs?) out of trouble. So the moral of the story is, he who is in need of you is your true friend.

And if I were you, I would think again about the type of friends I have, especially if some of them were ballbarians!

Oh btw, both the songs you mentioned only have the word 'bijli' in it. I am looking for a song with the THEME bijli. More like, if the song in Mr. India was...

Hawaa ki rani, main hoon aayi
kehte hai mujhko..bijli bijli.

 
At July 28, 2005 12:25 pm, Blogger vishy said...

hmm... well I too have seen guys and gals serving in the cafeteria here... but then the point was.. I saw most of the people doing such jobs were labourers hired from India. I mean here there are also Amrus who do work in the cafeteria.. well again agree tht we move to places for the big buck.. but the point was it was mostly our ppl doing such jobs in the ME.. I hardly found a single Arab doing such jobs...

btwn.. India-Dubai_US and Canada .. I envy u.. well I maty go the the Niagra some time in sept... well if ur still in Canada ..say hi from the other side..:))

 
At July 28, 2005 1:23 pm, Blogger Leon said...

What is all this talk about "muslims", "single" and "obsessions"?... (miffed)

 
At July 28, 2005 4:37 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Vikas: Hehe. Yeah I know you were looking for a bijli theme song. But why would anyone sing about bijli? "He who is in need of you is your true friend???" :o I could not agree less! Friendship is not only about doing favours and getting people out of trouble. In that case, you're being a good friend, but the other person is merely using you. As for my ballbaric friend, he's just looking out for me! And I feel damn safe around him. So I am not complaining one bit! ;)

Vishy: Before it was the case that Omanis didn't work because the youngsters especially were lazy and not much into the job scene only. Nowadays you'll find them working everywhere. As for in US, who are the ones working at the cafeterias? Usually the college kids who are trying to make some money on the side while studying. Plus the pay is good in US. Otherwise you wouldn't find white people working those kinds of jobs too. In the middle east, the number of Indians are almost as many as the locals, or even more, especially in Dubai. I don't feel like the Middle East is exploiting Indians any more than the US is. And either way, no one is forcing them to work. They choose to do the jobs to make money. However, nowadays, lots of Indians are losing jobs in every field because they are "Omanizing" the jobs. I'm sure if you visit Muscat in a year or two, you'll see only Omanis working everywhere :) And yes, I've been blessed. My parents have taken me all around the world :) Niagra is just gorgeous. Don't forget to take your camera!

Nirmal: We're just referring to the previous post! :p My "obsession" for Rampal who is NOT "single", and how I think "Muslim" guys are hot! :D Still miffed???

 
At July 28, 2005 6:00 pm, Blogger Leon said...

Aw.. c'mon I wasn't born yesterday.. I got all that.. But I'm still miffed.. I thought that post was past.. but these guys keep digging it up... (grr)

Not one more word of rampal or shoaib please.. thanks.. ;-)

 
At July 28, 2005 6:08 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Hehehehe! Life is all about overcoming such obstacles :p

 
At July 29, 2005 1:50 am, Blogger Vasanth said...

welll....i think its high time to dedicate a song for friend ship...so be it ...

my next project dedicated to friendship....

 
At July 29, 2005 5:18 am, Blogger Random Access said...

awww, not another cliche! Anywayz, Ms. V, why wud I read ahead once I saw that heading for that post :P I aint a bad boi! Post some hot chicks' pix n probably i wud sneak a peek if someone aint watchin ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At July 29, 2005 9:44 am, Blogger Jinguchakka said...

true. Friend is used as an euphemism for acquiantances too. And when we blogroll, mostly it would be the blog of a person who feels things the same way, on an almost same wavelength as us. That's what friendship is all about, right? Maybe it's a bit fast. We get to see the blog of a person before we blog roll. And nobody can sustain masking their character. therefore we get to know them.

 
At July 30, 2005 4:55 am, Blogger Sahil said...

I totally agree with you. People just call every Tom, Dick and Harry their friends these days. What most people would call friends, I would call acquaintances.

Log kahete hai ki dost hai hum aap ke, lekin dosti nibhana log jaante hi nahin aaj kal.

Nice blog you have here. :)

 
At July 30, 2005 10:49 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Vasanth: Looking forward to it :D

Prasanth: I just hope I never lose touch with these people. They ARE my life.

RA: Sorry RA. No pics of hot chicks on this site, except if I become one ;)

Jinguchakka: I don't mean to sound cynical but I do think most people blogroll others just to be blogrolled themselves and not that they really care about or appreciate what someone writes.

Sahil. Thank you, Sahil :)

 
At July 08, 2010 3:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. How you do this?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home