Thursday, July 21, 2005

Press one; Depress many

It is becoming increasingly clear that people want to have less to do with each other. In the process of becoming technologically advanced, I think we’re all becoming socially stunted. Person-to-person interactions are decreasing by the day. The Internet has obviously had the biggest hand to play in this situation. People need not physically meet to become friends. There’s no need to go down to the video store and ask the video-guy, while checking him out, which movie he thinks is 'worth the watch'. Even groceries can be bought online. One need not bother walking down aisles, looking for the perfect gift; no more worrying about if the gift’s wrapped right; no more having to go down to the post office and getting it parceled off to somewhere, when it can all be done with the click of a button.

As much as this has made life “easier” and gets things done faster with lesser hassle, what we’re missing is ‘the personal touch’. It may sound lame, but think about it. Do you appreciate an e-card more, or one that has been posted to you? Both gestures are sweet, but the fact that someone took some time out to pick out a card and fill it out makes you feel good, doesn’t it? These are the little things we’re losing out on due to technology.

The telephone is a marvelous invention indeed. To be able to keep in touch with people in completely different time zones is a great thing. But here’s what else it has done:

Before-

A: Hey! Let’s go over to the C’s today. We haven’t seen them in a long time.
B: That’s a great idea. Let’s surprise them!
A: I’ll get the keys.

Today-

A: Hey! Let’s go over to the C’s today. We haven’t seen them in a long time.
B: Hmmm. Maybe we should call them first. It would be rude to interrupt if they’re busy.
A: I’ll get the phone.

Speaking of telephones brings me back to the reason I started writing this post.

Customer service has sure come a long way, hasn’t it? At first, we interacted with humans. That I could deal with. Then, we interacted with machines that went “Press 1 for English, press 2 for …” and if you waited long enough after the message was done, the pause would be followed with a “To speak to an agent, press 0”. That I could deal with too. Sometimes you got an agent that was a machine-like human. That also I could deal with. Nowadays, we interact with human-like machines. And that I CANNOT deal with. It’s not only because of the fact that a machine mocks me with statements like “I did not hear/understand your response”, “If you want me to repeat the menu, please say yes” or “If you’re looking to have phone sex, you’ve got the wrong number”; but more often that not it never helps answer the query you have. Because if I wanted my own flight details, Delta, I’d look into my ticket!!!

All I want is to be able to speak to a human agent again. I don’t care if he or she has the temper of someone who’s just caught his and/or her lover in bed with someone else. The last time I had that opportunity (to speak to a human agent, I mean) was when I’d not paid my phone bill in three months. Oh, then they wanted to speak to me, alright. But I just let them deal with a human voice on a machine that went “Hey guys. I’m not available right now…”

12 Comments:

At July 21, 2005 1:37 am, Blogger Gayatri said...

i totally agree with u!!

there was a time when i used to write letters to my cousins.. i still have most of them.. the e mails we exchange now, are so lame in comaparison..

 
At July 21, 2005 2:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain

 
At July 21, 2005 6:18 am, Blogger Random Access said...

Some lines remind me of the argument we had between words n actions i donno where...anywayz, it is absolutely true that human nature cant be replaced by mechanised beings. I loved the title too. Really does. but sometimes I get a feeling we all get used to such things as time goes by. Just click click click even without hearing the voice at the other end. We have to deal with the face that life aint that nice all the time...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At July 21, 2005 7:18 pm, Blogger Deeps said...

Hmm very true, but somehow I prefer buying gifts and gift-wrapping them myself :) But this has not been possible from the time I've been in US, since most of my friends and relatives are in India. So phone's the only way I can be close to them and internet's the only way I can send gifts to them. Sad, but true..

 
At July 21, 2005 9:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very true post.The dark letters of a sms received on a birthday dont express the wishes beautifully.And the title is great , really great.

 
At July 22, 2005 3:15 am, Blogger maheshbalaji said...

so this is the post u were talking about... the one that was 'coming up'..?! sooper title.... but where is the friedship angle to it? do u need to know a 'face' to be a friend?!

or is this the next post?!

 
At July 22, 2005 4:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh you guys!

Personally, I’d prefer an email over a letter any day! In fact I’d be very unhappy if I get less than 5 emails a day. I do not think that will be possible with today’s postal services. It’s a real treat to find emails at my PC and text messages on my cell when I wake up in the morning :)

I might have to wait 5 minutes before I can get connected to the right billing customer agent... but it’s better than to get a representative and then wait another 5 while they transfer me to the wrong department.

Through postal mail I have to send Birthday cards weeks in advance to reach there days before/after the actual birthday.

Birthday reminded online, make sure I never forget a Birthday. Technology makes it possible to sit at my computer thousands of miles away and see and speak to friends over voice-chat/webcam.

Its fun connected to countless people at the clink of a button ;)

 
At July 22, 2005 5:13 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Antrix, that was post was the first thing that crossed my mind. I was wondering if the machine might have heard that I called "her" a "bitch".

RA, the argument was on Giri's blog.

Welcome George. So what's your quirk?

No Makki. This isn't that post.

Colin, I know what YOU use the Internet for! ;)

 
At July 22, 2005 11:40 am, Blogger Vikas said...

Hmm...it is a big scandal by the government I tell you! They first introduce this click of a button life and when all your fingers are tired of clicking and you realise you have been sitting long enough that your legs have died of boredom, they will send agents dressed in black suits, wearing a Tom and Jerry tie and pink bunny shoes, to your house and rob everything that you have. All you have left in the end is a mouse which you cannot click!

We must act now or it will be too late. So my dear fellow potential government scape-goats, USE YOUR KEY BOARD MORE!

- The dormant rebel!

You have to pardon my other self. On a serious note, I think modernisation can take only us so far. We humans have strange weaknesses like emotions and feelings and love that will keep us alive and unpredictable!

Cheerio and stay unpredictable! ;)

 
At July 22, 2005 12:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here for the first time..
well there is a certain charm in gettin letters n cards .. but then jus look at the number of ppl u wudnt hv known or been in touch with if it wasnt for the net :) pluses outweighing the negatives surely :D

hey i hvnt had a chance to interact with human like machines.. still stuck with the customer service agents.. but then there's no guarantee that they would understand what ur trying to say n would actually know wat to do :D

 
At July 22, 2005 4:50 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Hehehe! Vikas, the keyboard thing was funny. I'll try to be as unpredictable as they come! ;)

Hey Neha. You've actually commented on my mirror blog before. But I don't know if you remember. Well, it's easier for me to have to blame a dumb agent than an irritating machine! :D

 
At February 07, 2007 6:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home