Friday, June 03, 2005

B-e-a-utiful!

A post on RA's blog about "Simple pleasures of life" reminded me of an essay I had to write for my English class comparing and contrasting any two things. Just felt like sharing it with friends, friend's friends and absolute strangers.

Beauty – is it taken for granted?

‘Nanaimo is a beautiful city.’ That is what the tourist brochures claim. And there is no doubt about it either. Ever since I arrived in Nanaimo three weeks back, I have been left awestruck by its beauty. Its breathtaking scenery, its beautiful romantic sunsets, its calm yet mysterious waters; all make it seem like it is indeed paradise on earth. The aura of this city aroused my senses like none other. I was walking about the city, consuming in all its beauty. I desired to blend with my surroundings. Suddenly, I am jerked back into reality by the blaring noise of the bus horn. I look around me and realize that all the people are so busy going about their daily chores – running to school, driving to work, mending the garden – that they do not once stop to watch, touch or feel these precious gifts of nature that God has bestowed upon them. I wondered how people could be so indifferent to it all, so immune to this beauty. Was it because they were born into this paradise, they took this beauty for granted?

I think of Muscat, the city where I have lived the best part of the eighteen years of my life. Had I also been the same, and failed to recognize the beauty around me? Had I fallen prey to human nature too? I realize that I indeed had. Not once had I appreciated what I had been blessed with around me. Bittersweet memories from my past flash across my mind, taking me for a few moments to another time and place. It’s not that I had ever underestimated Muscat’s beauty. It’s just that I had never given it another glance. Now that I was away, I longed for the cool soft sands, the bare rocky mountains, the calm quiet beaches and the rough playful sea. A rustling in the leaves brings me back to this paradise again. Two cute rabbits and some graceful deer are playing about the trees and grass. I am immediately stabbed with a feeling of guilt. Never once had I stopped and gazed at the majestic camels that lived back home.

The two cities are not alike in any sense. Nanaimo is on an island, surrounded by water, covered with tall trees – pine trees, cedar trees, apple trees, acorn trees, trees I have never seen or heard of before. Muscat is in the desert, covered with sand, with the occasional tall date palms looking back at you from the horizon. Nanaimo has lush green grass wherever you look. The only greenery you’ll ever find in Muscat will be in the backyard of a house whose owners have a passion for gardening. In Nanaimo, you can feel the cold wet air brushing your face, but in Muscat, it’s only hot dry winds that will blow through your hair. Nanaimo is blessed with four seasons, ranging from times when the leaves fall off the tree to times when you have the occasional snowfall. In Muscat, it’s considered surprising if it rains for more than one day in a year. One city has what the other does not. Yet both these places are beautiful in their own respect.

As I stand here, looking around at nature’s wonders around me, I slowly find myself wanting to be less awed by it all. How could I let myself be taken away by this beauty, when I had always lived in somewhere equally beautiful? That is when it dawned on me that maybe it is not the case that people take all this beauty for granted. Maybe they have lived in this beauty for so long that it has become a part of them, and they really don’t need to stop to look at the rabbits play, or gaze at the sunset, or stare at the grey clouds that promise rain. I was a stranger to this foreign beauty and hence felt the need to acquaint myself with these gifts of nature. But for the people of Nanaimo, it had become a part of them, a part of their existence. All they ever needed to do was close their eyes and they would see the panoramic beauty unfold in front of their eyes, in the same way that I had experienced. I realized that the beauty of Muscat was a part of me and I never had to look far, but within myself, whenever I found myself missing home.

We are, after all human, and it is impossible not to be moved by beauty around us. Beauty is so powerful that we are not even aware when it becomes a part of us. Everything is beautiful. Everything. If something doesn’t seem beautiful, the first question you must ask yourself is why you think it’s not beautiful. You will soon realize that there is, in fact, no reason at all.

20 Comments:

At June 03, 2005 10:11 pm, Blogger vishy said...

well often we realise the beauty of things only when we miss it.. travelling in the crowded bus in chennai with a heavy back pack to the school every day was no fun.. but now.. that i miss it.. i feel traveling on the foot board of te bus was beauty to.. in no other part of the world u can see a bunch of ppl singing bagans i nthe crowed moring local train (tht in a 2nd class compartment) will all tht ching-chuk other than mumbai... missing it now.. tht too wld be beautiful when i next happen to see it again in mumbai...

 
At June 03, 2005 10:31 pm, Blogger vishy said...

btwn..whtsthe reason behind having two blogs ..with the same posts..

 
At June 03, 2005 11:03 pm, Blogger Random Access said...

I'll spare Ms.V the trouble of copy paste..

vids: well xanga's my original blog. some ppl asked me to move here. but cldn't give up xanga. sentimental reasons. so i post both places. can't say i'm complaining. copy paste has never been so useful :P

 
At June 03, 2005 11:27 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

RA, you're the best! Hehehe. Well, I also have my older posts on Xanga, which I don't want to lose. I also like the colour-combo on the other one. Plus, my xanga friends like it there. I have to please all my friends, and I love to. So therefore 2 blogs.

 
At June 04, 2005 3:27 am, Blogger Random Access said...

huh?? %@$%&@@$$%*$%W*$(@$(

Damn I miss cartoon network and all these symbols popping out when the character has been thrashed like mad...

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At June 04, 2005 5:17 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

You bet! Cartoons ROCK :D

 
At June 04, 2005 8:21 am, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Ya... cartoons are way too cool... the explosive violence, the subtle sexual undercurrent, the trippy characters!! No Sarcasm here... if only it wasn't so much like reality... :)

 
At June 04, 2005 8:28 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

It isn't like reality. Characters in reality aren't even half as cute :p If only reality was more like it...

 
At June 04, 2005 10:26 am, Blogger Random Access said...

Tom and Jerry is like ice creams, everygreen always leaving a jollu at the end, wanting more.

Mickey Donald is like chocolate, creamy and delicious, leaving an ever so subtle taste

Well, at this rate, I will not finish...so let me juz list it down..

Swat Kats
Ninja Robots
Scooby Doo
Adam's family
Yogi Bear
Pokemon
Popeye
Captain Planet
Power puff girls
Batman
Road Runner
Daffy duck

- whatever, Tom n Jerry is the ultimate, ever!!

Random Access
The search has just begun !!! (for the child in me)

 
At June 04, 2005 8:38 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

My favourites are:
Bugs and Daffy (along with Porky Pig)
Tweety
Adam's Family
Swat Kats
Captain Planet (cos of their cool powers)
Johnny Quest (awesome music score)
Johnny Bravo (yo mama!)
Woody Wood Pecker :D
Garfield (ever since it came on video)
(And the two dogs, father and son, who don't talk too much, and always have to save some girl from a wolf. Can't get the name.)

Tom n Jerry rocks though. I love the T&J kids. They are so cute when they're tiny. I love all the Walt Disney cartoons too and still have many from years ago!

Ninja Turtles were my mega favourite at one point in time! Kowa bunga dude! Loved all the pizza, the 4 turtles, April, Splinter, Shredder, Bebop and Rockstead??? Man, good old days. Shucks, miss it SO SO MUCH.

 
At June 05, 2005 12:53 am, Blogger Vaibhav said...

My Favs in order...
1. Bugs Bunny (random but true: Mel Blanc was allergic to carrots)... anyway bugs is like Jughead excpet that he ain't so lazy!

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: what can i say! read the name!

4. Johny Bravo: what a guy!

3. GI Joe (fine laugh all you want... but the whole vehicles/guns/artillery/back ground to each character was way to cool! my fav among them was "Snake Eyes" never spoke and kicked butt!

Tom & Jerry: Gets a bit repititive..

thats for Animated series only... for printed stuff...C&H (can't quite say enough), X-Men (not the Hidden Years which were better of hidden only), BAtman, Dilbert (AWESOME!) and Garfield ('stories' are too short tho..), and in non series GAry LArson's Farside comics (Awesome again!!) ... Mad (not all are that good tho)...

 
At June 05, 2005 3:05 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Uhm, Vaibhav.. order as in the order you've written them, or numbered them, cos they don't as such match up :p

Haven't you watched the Garfield on TV???? It's mega awesome. The movie rocked!! I think they could have made Garfield look cuter, but Bill Murray's voice for him was PERFECT. If I ever imagined a voice in my head while reading the comic's that was the voice.

I liked GI Joe too ;) Yes, Snake Eyes was so cool!

I for some reason loved Archie's comics too! And Tintin. And Asterix :D

ANd the dog is Droopy btw.. so so cute.

 
At June 05, 2005 3:06 am, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Yes Arch. Who else would know the beauty of Muscat better? ;)

 
At June 05, 2005 3:41 am, Blogger Random Access said...

After reading about muscat, thanks to Ms. V and arch, I am tempted to write about Singapore...but i guess i had enuf for a day ;)

Random Access
The search has just begun !!!

 
At June 05, 2005 11:05 pm, Blogger Vaibhav said...

Faulty numbering... Johnny Bravo ranks over GI Joe coz he is damn funny!
I did see Garfield on TVlong time back... couldn't have been very impressed coz i hardly remember it! I think Garfield has the kind of personality that suits comic strips rather than animation. Lack of movement, lazy eyes... you know what I mean...

 
At June 05, 2005 11:08 pm, Blogger LovingAndLosing said...

Yo mama, you smell pretty. Wanna smell me? :D His hair-style was something else!!!

 
At June 06, 2005 12:13 am, Blogger Vasanth said...

hmmm ... awesome three some ...shifting the topic all together

 
At February 21, 2007 6:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Akne proactiv 3 commercial interior designer cover letters gmc jimmy fiberglass running boards Digital minidv camcorder Sloan touchless faucets interior designer lahoma Xray voyeur gallery

 
At March 01, 2007 7:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... » »

 
At March 06, 2007 9:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Baccarat ambling fire alarm testing contract home based business merchant account 20 Capillaritis allergic Horny mature hairy men Patents hedelin http://www.webdevelopment4.info/Drag-drop-free-website-templates.html Male cosmetic surgery in ny snowboard backpacks Vitamins for diffuse hair loss

 

Post a Comment

<< Home